Thursday, April 12, 2007

Humble Writing Stick

The first comment to this blog illustrates how difficult it is to change perception.

"I think this task is confusing form with function. The function of a pencil is a tool for drawing black lines. You probably could make a charcoal style writing stick without too much hassle.

If you are trying to match form, then, yes, you have a very difficult job. Your success in the endeavor would greatly henge on accessibility to the right materials."

April 11, 2007 7:34 PM

Since I'm a newbie at pencil lore, I will also excuse the commenter, y-intercept, his misjudgment--just this once. I've had a night to mull this over, and I can conclude that even if I only try to match function, as y-intercept suggests, I have a difficult task ahead of me. Also, a "charcoal style writing stick" is not a pencil. Anyone even remotely interested in pencils will tell you that.

My next book is going to have to be "The Pencil" which is reviewed here. Just the little exposure that I've had to this wonderful invention has given me a sense of wonder over even the most crude iteration of it.

No comments: